OK, this post is obviously a long time coming. For those of you who read earlier this month, and have been semi-following along on Facebook, you may be confused. We decided that Ariana is not strong enough phsyically to handle the Celiac's testing. Within hours of eating wheat again, her body started to shut down. At the 4 day mark (with 3.5 weeks to go) She had lost 1/2 lb, had nasty yeast infections, bloody diaper rash, she quit eating or nursing, and would just cry all day long. This was with almost a whole month left, then she had to go through a day of intense laxatives, and then a hour or more of anesthesia. Trevor and I felt that this was un-neccesary to put her body through, especially since the official diagnoses of Celiac's doesn't do anything more for her than she's doing now. She already has to be on the gluten free since she's got the confirmed wheat allergy. So doing the procedure would not help or change anything. We have diagnosed her ourselves based on the symptoms we say so quickly after eating wheat. It also helps those watching her to have the name. Like in church, I told her nursery teacher that she was allergic to wheat. So she said: "oh, ok. I'll just give her the pretzels then.". And since obviously pretzels have wheat in it, people just don't get it. The general public take the name more seriously I think. Oh well, but tomorrow's the day of her would-be-procedure, and I'm RELIEVED that we decided against it. I just can't imagine putting my baby girl through that. The doctor's were not happy we canceled, though... But who needs them anyways? :-)
Which, by the way, we are 3 weeks out since putting back on the gluten free diet, and she's still 2 ozs shy of her previous weight. I wish that wheat caused my intestines to shut down and not allow me to absorb the food. I could've lost my baby weight by now!
Um, don't pretzels have wheat??
ReplyDeleteYes, Emily, which is one of the reasons we self diagnosed. People Take Celiac's a lot more seriously, and don't feed her things. If you say wheat, people just guess if something has wheat in it or not, and then give her what they want. It's frustrating.
ReplyDeleteI always get confused with Celiac and think that it is wheat and sugar... the only thing I feel safe feeding someone with celiac is fruit. I'm glad that you've been able to make great non-gluten foods!
ReplyDeleteYeah, Ashley, the fruit cobbler was pretty good, if I do say so myself. It certainly could be worse. I have Alicia M to thank for that, though, since she gave me the cookbook and the head start!
ReplyDeleteOohhh, You tried a cobbler? I haven't yet. Was it worth the effort? So glad she can grow, now. And, I wouldn't wish the symptoms of gluten intolerance on anyone. It is miserable. Here's to Ariana's happy healing!
ReplyDelete~Alicia