Wednesday, August 3, 2011

1 week... already? and finally?

It's been 1 week since Elijah started potty training. It's not gotten any better. Me, being silly and ridiculous, thought that since HE decided he was ready and refused to ever wear diapers again that it would be easier. WRONG. Will I ever learn that nothing is ever easy with this kid? Last Wednesday was the fateful day. While I was changing his morning diaper he threw a huge fit, refusing to get a new diaper put on. So I went with it, putting on underpants and taking him potty every 15 minutes. It's what I've been doing ever since along with everything else, like 1 year pictures for his sister, grocery shopping, church, disc golfing, you name it. It wouldn't be so bad if it was working, but he's still having accidents every 10 minutes or so.
You see, the thing is now it's a battle of wills. He wants to go potty when he wants, how he wants, where he wants, etc. And if I ask him to go potty, he flips out. His stubborn nature is being questioned, and he fights back. Hard. I'm not the kind to give up, especially after a week of hard work, but I've threatened this kid with diapers if he doesn't stop having accidents every 10 minutes or refusing to go when I ask.
Maybe he's not ready, or maybe my approach is wrong. Any ideas out there from potty trained strong-willed children survivors??

No comments:

Post a Comment