Tuesday we headed up and out. It's way back in Lost Park in the Pike National Forest. It takes about 3.5 hours to get there, even though it's about parallel to Monument. (Don't worry, it's one of the things I'll bring up to the President if I ever meet him). We stopped about half way to get McDonalds for the boys to tide them over until dinner. Yummy! When we had to pull off onto the dirt road leading us to our destination, I nursed Ariana while the boys did this:
That night it was so cold that I got to snuggle my 11 month old in my bed with me! I can't say that I officially woke up to a 1 year old, though, since I didn't sleep at all that night. My hips and pelvis are not what they used to be, and camping is for the young. Owwie!
Now it's Ariana's 1st birthday! We had yummy GF pancakes for breakfast made by the fantastic Cook Courtney. And then we got to go fishing! We actually hiked a few miles, past a sign that read: Wilderness!
How exciting. Ryan and Elijah have their own poles now, so they were raring to go. Ryan was singularly focused to fishing, while Elijah was busy pointing out all the cowpies and flowers along the trail. We had to make up games to keep him moving along. I liken him to a dried out snail when he wants to be. It's nearly impossible to get him moving if he doesn't want to. And that's not to say he was tired, because he wasn't. He was just so distracted and in awe of everything that he forgot to move. It was fantastic.
Back at camp we opened Ariana's presents and sang "happy birthday" while eating birthday Rice Crispie Treats. Nothing like a marshmallowy treat to say happy birthday!
The next day (Thursday) we went back into the wilderness for more hiking and more fishing. We went to this cool, shady meadow and had a relaxing time! We caught more fish, ate some yummy fruit, and stuck our feet in the water. Then we headed back to the campsite for some speed packing before the rain came. And yes, Ariana got carsick in the front seat of the car again. But we got Chipotle for dinner! And We all made some wonderful memories of our first vacation together as a family and of Ariana's 1st birthday. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment